, , , , , , , ,

In January I started sorting, discarding, donating and selling my “stuff.”  In March, I put what was left on a truck and I drove my car onto a trailer and that trailer was hooked to the back of the truck. Then I convinced my brother to use all of his vacation to drive the truck (and me) to Washington.

Hands down, the best decision I’ve made since that time in high school when I got stoned at the lake with a bunch of friends and they decided to swim across the cove and I decided to turn back at the halfway point. I probably would have drowned and I wouldn’t be writing this.

Because of that decision 32 years a long time ago, I didn’t drown that day and now I am home. It seems weird, because I lived in Kansas City my entire life, but I finally feel like I belong. The only people I know are my sisters, their kids, and a few of MMB’s friends, but I still feel that I’ve found the place where I fit.

I haven’t found a job, but that is mostly because I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. When I casually perused the job sites last year, it seemed there was plenty of insurance or medical office work available. Six months later, that is still true, but I’m not sure that’s what I want anymore. Just because you’ve done something for a long time is no reason to keep doing it. I want to do something a little more creative than just plugging numbers into a system. I want to do something that has tangible results. It could be working with people – yes, you actually read that. I wouldn’t mind working with people in some capacity – either tutoring or finding shelter or housing – it doesn’t matter what it is, as long as I feel good about doing it. I moved here because I wanted to restart my life; I wanted to be happier. Finding work that makes me feel good is one of the keys.

The other key is changing my habits to be healthier. I’m eating at home. I’m walking, either on my treadmill or out in the wild. This morning MMB and I walked to the post office, which is about a mile away – and a mile back. We walked at a slightly-less-than-brisk pace so that I could actually walk the entire way, but still, I did it.

The cats made the trip on a plane and arrived four days before I did. It took them another two days to come out of hiding … but they both found my bedroom the first night and purred all over me. Then they hid again. They seem to enjoy having more space to hunt their toy mice and fight each other – so, yeah, back to normal for them.

As for me, I’m still in adventure mode. I’m slowly exploring and I find something new almost every day. And it’s so much fun when I’m out somewhere and I recognize where I am and how to get to where I want to be.

Oh, wait, that’s right here.

20170310_112324  20170311_133419