, , ,

So. The interview.

It was raining. I had to park in the back parking lot and walk … and walk … and walk …

I put myself back together in the restroom, but my hair would not cooperate. Stupid hair. Stupid rain.  I went to the suite and pressed the door buzzer and told the metallic voice I had an appointment.  I walked in and signed in. I noticed two people had been in yesterday for the interview – because they wrote “Interview” under the reason for their visit.  I also noticed they used just the interviewer’s first name in the “who are you visiting” space. So I wrote his first and last name.  Because I’m like that – and it might matter. You never know.

The receptionist told me they were having a tornado drill at 9:00 –  my interview time. Yay.  So I laughed and said it was a great way to tour the building. The alarm sounded and people started streaming toward the door. My interviewer introduced himself and escorted me to a hallway in the basement. Then we had to walk back up. Three flights of steps.  Now I know that doesn’t seem like much and it isn’t -except that I’m out of shape and have breathing problems.

When we got upstairs, he told me he’d be back in a minute and left me there to catch my breath – which I was actually holding so that I didn’t pant. Do you know how hard it is to try to breathe slowly and normally when you feel you don’t have ANY air in your lungs?

The interview itself was okay. It’s so hard to tell. Unless you really piss them off or just have terrible chemistry with the person, it’s hard to know if you’re doing well. I interviewed with the HR guy and the supervisor for the department. They were both very engaging and had a lot of information. I tried to ask as many questions as I could.

The pay is probably not going to be great, but the benefits are out of this world. It’s product support, so it’s not exactly what I was looking for, but … there would be lots of opportunity for growth. I wish I could say more, but I don’t really think I should. Let’s just say it’s a dream company and this job could lead to a dream job.  The HR guy said they would be making a decision in about a week.

Until then, I’ll be holding my breath.